Episode 177 | How to Influence Culture from the Middle with Jenni Catron
Do you desire to be a more confident leader?
- Are you frustrated with meetings that are inefficient and uninspiring?
- Do you find yourself unprepared or ill-equipped for challenging conversations?
- Do you feel scattered and unable to focus on what really matters?
- Are you struggling to juggle the demands of greater leadership responsibility?
If this resonates with you, we would love to invite you to our 6 Traits of an Extraordinary Leader Training this October.
This leadership training, beginning October 5th, is a 6-week online, live training where we will gather for 75 minutes weekly to share the 6 Traits of Extraordinary Leadership.
You will hear from myself along with the 4Sight Coaching Team. During this time, the team will train you in practical, hands-on tools to help you learn how to lead well on your journey to becoming an extraordinary leader.
Leadership can be frustrating when you feel ill-equipped to face the daily challenges of leading yourself and leading a team. This training is designed to equip you to not only navigate those challenges effectively, but learn how to lead yourself and others well.
In this week’s episode, Jenni answers a listener who emailed to ask, “I’m on the low end of middle management, and our company struggles with all four of the 4 blind spots. However, I feel powerless to do anything about it. What can I do to make a difference when I feel as though my input or desire to make the culture better has little or any value to those over me?”
It is not uncommon, if an organization has been under pressure, that there has been an erosion between their values and behavior. Staff members are responsible for protecting and defending the culture of the organization, and for creating and influencing the culture for their specific sphere of influence, and Jenni offers suggestions that anyone can use if you, too, are leading from the middle:
- Offer grace - your senior leader’s may not realize there is a culture issue
- Ask for clarity - hunt for the history of your organization's mission, vision, and values
- Answer “what’s right, what’s true, and what can I do?” - include other staff members in this conversation
- Celebrate when you see the values being lived out
- Model the values within your own sphere of influence
If you have a question for Jenni, or suggestions for the podcast, email it to: email@example.com
For a next step, we need your help to get our Lead Culture podcasts in front of more leaders! There are three simple things you can do that truly help us:
- Leave a Review - head over to Apple podcasts (even if that’s not where you listen) and leave a review! This will help more people find us when they search for leadership podcasts.
- Subscribe - we’re available wherever you listen to podcasts.
- Share - let your friends know about the podcast by sharing your favorite episode on social media!
Resources:Check out our 4Sight: Culture Blindspot Assessment. This survey will help you discover where you should be investing your time and efforts to make a bigger impact in your team. Our free assessment will help you identify your biggest culture blind spot so your team can thrive.